Saturday 10 August 2013

SUBMARINE














I've known about Submarine for a while but only just got round to watching it a couple days ago due to my summer days. I know Submarine came out a while ago (2010...) but after watching the movie, I felt compelled to do a post about it. Submarine is one of the most refreshing, honest, witty and breathtakingly stunning movies I've watched in a while. So without further adieu, here is my mini review of Submarine.


Submarine takes place in a tiny town in Swansea and it tells the story of Oliver Tate, a fifteen year old schoolboy living with his delightfully dull mother and father. Submarine is told entirely from Oliver's perspective so the audience gets unique insights into Oliver's thoughts and daily life. The film chronicles Oliver's life and his romance with 'moderately-unpopular' schoolgirl Jordana bevan. Without giving too much away, there are some twists and turns in Oliver's life and he finds himself again and again in conflict. 


RAD:

- The cinematography is incredible in this movie. The land of Swansea plays beautifully into the movie and adds some drama into Oliver's mundane life. Even if you find the movie a bit 'out there', the visual elements definitely compensate. There's even a little super 8 film sequence that makes the film that much better. The mixture of long wide span shots, contrasted with up close, tight face shots add that extra insight into Oliver's world. 

       *SPOILER*

            One scene to watch out for, Jordana and Oliver's first kiss. Its a brilliant scene because it all takes place very dramatically inside Oliver's head. He sees it almost like its cowboy showdown, whereas in real life, its just a simple, almost fleeting act. Definitely a scene to watch out for. 


- The script. Personally, I found the script wildly hilarious and still very realistic. As the movie is told entirely from Oliver's perspective, the little insights into his thoughts truly bring out the chuckles in this film. 



- If anything, the soundtrack is truly truly truly amazing (three times to emphasize how much I truly love it). The soundtrack is composed by Alex Turner and it perfectly fits with the mood and theme of the film. The slow, melancholic and almost peaceful songs act like the soundtrack to Oliver's life.  I definitely recommend, Stuck on the puzzle, Hiding Tonight and Its hard to get around the wind. Read more about my love here.



BAD:

- The only bad thing I would have to say about this film is that the ending may let down some people. If you're one for happy endings, I'm afraid to say that you might be disappointed. Although it isn't a sad ending, its definitely ambiguous and definitely leaves you wanting to find out more. However, I for one, was fine with it as weirdly enough I actually enjoy ambiguous endings. 



- All the conflicts actually resolve themselves, so if you're more of a 'plot-orientated' person, you may find yourselves a little bit let down by the plot. However, the film does focus more on the characters so even if you are feeling disappointed, you do really fall in love with the characters.



Overall, I absolutely loved it. I give it a 4/5. Kudos Richard Ayoade, this film is definitely one of my top ten favourites.



No comments:

Post a Comment